Ok, so friends before entering into motherhood are amazing, don’t get me wrong, and theres NO replacing these beautiful gems of humans, but there is something that another mom friend can offer than nobody else can. Maybe because they too know what it is like to be simultaneously puked and pooped on and still think the tiny human they are holding is like, the greatest thing in the universe. Or maybe it’s because we totally appreciate one another showing up looking like a hot mess and giving no fucks about it. Who really knows the exact reason, but here are my top 5 reasons my mom friends rock my socks:
- You can show up an hour late, covered in puke with a messy bun and boogers on your shirt and they don’t judge — they know whats up, and more than likely had that same ensemble you’re currently sporting, on at some point earlier in the week.
- Coffee and wine. You will can drink all the coffee and all the wine with mom friends at all hours of the day, because when you’re raising tiny humans those are staples.
- If you call, text, or show up crying, they get it. Motherhood isn’t for the faint of heart.
- They know what its like after a long day of kids tugging at pant legs, making food thats gone uneaten, and listening to annoying cartoon character voices all day and we can openly talk about how much certain parts of mom-hood suck, with no judgement.
- Community — once you’ve found your group of mom-friends, whether its 2, 4, 10+ moms, you’re apart of that community and thats pretty much like family, which is absolutely incredible.
Moms, if you’re new to the game or just now ready to get out and meet people, get out there and join some groups even if you think mom-groups are lame (which they aren’t) because surrounding yourself with people who are going through the same or similar things you are makes you feel less crazy, less judged, and very, very loved.